System being BLOATED during sys upgrade!!! How to shrink a lot?

Added by HD Scania 5 months ago

I'm running CLDL that's outdated for about 4 months, before a full system upgrade it already has been costed against 45% of my 16GiB root partition, now an upgrade is being done but it has now been even costed against 81% out of 16GiB, now going to reach 95% to be overloaded. What Gentoo goodies to shrink a lot for my system?

Replies (6)

RE: System being BLOATED during sys upgrade!!! How to shrink a lot? - Added by Adrien Daugabel 5 months ago

Hi,

by default, archives are not cleaned after install (faster to reinstall a package.

You can clean these archives with 2 commands (in root user)

eclean-pkg
eclean-dist

What is the size of your /var/calculate directory ?

du -sh /var/calculate

RE: System being BLOATED during sys upgrade!!! How to shrink a lot? - Added by Alexander Tratsevskiy 5 months ago

Clear the history of the repositories:

cl-update --one-depth

RE: System being BLOATED during sys upgrade!!! How to shrink a lot? - Added by HD Scania 5 months ago

Fortunately that's just emerge runtime bloat, when I interrupt the upgrade it shrinks down to 57% from 81%.

2.6GiB /var/calculate/tmp
1.4GiB /var/calculate/remote
192MiB /var/calculate/packages

To more deeply clean run this?

sudo eclean-dist -d && sudo eclean-pkg -d && sudo emerge --clean && sudo emerge -c && sudo cl-update --one-depth

Wishes that my system is costed below 50%.

And how to taste upgrading to ''testing'' packages?

RE: System being BLOATED during sys upgrade!!! How to shrink a lot? - Added by Alexander Tratsevskiy 5 months ago

The directory /var/calculate/tmp contains temporary files, it can be cleared. In /var/calculate/packages are the downloaded packages. You can also delete. Not critical, because you can always download them again. In /var/calculate/remote/distfiles are the downloaded source code of packages. Also not critical, because you can always download them again.

To switch to test updates, execute 'cl-update --stable=off' at one's own risk ;)

RE: System being BLOATED during sys upgrade!!! How to shrink a lot? - Added by dragan legic 5 months ago

Thanks for the nice explanation. Is it almost scheduled to update plasma to version 5.13.3

Updates to KDE are very frequent and affect many packages. And not always stable. We conducted a survey among users in which many expressed their preference for using a stable (in Gentoo) version of KDE.

(1-6/6)

Thank you!